Friday, August 30, 2013

Summer Humming

It's a hot one today by Redondo Beach standards; easily into the mid 80's. I trimmed up the Passiflora vines on the pergola because Fall is approaching and I don't need them to get too clustered and consequently sick. Anyway, I was admiring my work when a humming bird came into the yard, took a few drinks from P. racemosa 'buzios', and then landed well very close to me. I was certain if I moved to get the camera that it would zip away, but despite that certainty, I went for it. Sure enough, when I came back with camera already zoomed and in front of my face, it was gone. Then it came right back! It landed a total of three times and I was able to get very close so long as I moved slowly and kept the camera in front of my face. Apparently, they're smart enough to recognize that a face means danger. This was a very cool ending to August.




No comments:

Post a Comment