Saturday, October 6, 2012

Alata Patience

I've been impressed with the size of my P. alata 'Ruby Glow' (see edit at end of this entry). Late this Summer it took off up one of the legs of the pergola, over the top, and then on a direct diagonal across. Very recently, I noticed that there were a few buds on the main vine. I was as excited as I was surprised, since P. alata doesn't typically bloom the season that it's planted! The leaves look healthy, the tendrils are tentaculous (I made that word up), and now I might get some spectacular Fall flowers. I won't hold my breath though in case the buds are dropped, which is what happened to my P. trisecta.





Well...it turns out that 'Ruby Glow' is actually P. x decaisnean a cross of P. alata x P. quadrangularis. I discovered this vicariously through a very well informed passie friend in the Facebook passion flower group. He noted that 'Ruby Glow' has smaller, less wild, more purple coronal filaments. I agreed, posted the discovery on the Facebook page, and the other experts agreed. So, that's a mixed bag revelation. On one hand, I didn't get what I ordered from Logee's. On the other, I got a spectacular plant with fruit which are rumored to be delicious. I did try to pollinate the blossoms before I knew what I really had. The first with P. racemosa and the second with 'Blue-Eyed Susan'. I'll have to wait to see if I get a delicious reward!

Update: Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment