Sunday, October 14, 2012

Coral Un-Sea-sonably Hot

It's the middle of October, and the weather in Redondo Beach is in the low 80's! To me, that means it time to garden...of course, that's what time it is every spare minute. Nevertheless, I decided to replant some of the front yard. The mealy bugs from the neighbor's yard had done a number on my plants there. I fought them the best that I could, but decided in the end to start fresh. So, I pulled out the most afflicted, and pruned aggressively those that could handle it. The best news there is that the peony which I thought was dying for no apparent reason, was actually just dropping some branches, and new ones were coming in at the nodes. Anyway, I picked up some new inhabitants for the front yard. I have high hopes of course, especially for something I had never seen before. It's called 'Hairy Balls'...yep. Gomphocarpus physocarpus.





Every time I go to the garden store I check the back where they keep the vines. I found some passi's there. They had P. x belotii, P. edulis, and 'Coral Sea' (manicata x ?) in stock. All were healthy with fruit and flowers on most. I couldn't resist, and picked up a 'Coral Sea'. I had an empty pot after all. The only question was where to put it. I decided to put it in the front yard and lean it tendrils on the palm tree growing there. My friend from the Facebook Passiflora group promises me that it will climb up over the house and strangle all the plants on the block. I look forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment