Sunday, March 4, 2012

We're Buds.

It was 84°F here today. My solar powered fountain started fountain...ing for the first time this year. When I was out there admiring it, I noticed that one of the passion flowers had a tiny little flower bud on it. I'm not sure which one it is, and I won't until it blooms, but I think that tomato fertilizer is paying off. Since I found that bud, I decided to poke around and see if I could find some other signs of Spring. Sure enough, the Japanese maple has a few leaves starting to emerge. The Chocolate vine has it's little purple buds ready to open too.



My passion vines from Logee's should come this week! I need to get those planted in to fill up some pots which lost a couple. I might even put one in the front yard to climb the palm tree, but I haven't fully decided. OK, I just decided that since I have more coming at the beginning of next month from Grassy Knoll, that I should pick one for the front too. I'll make sure that it's sweet smelling so that a breeze can carry the scent into my house. Let's see..P. serratifolia should do the trick. Here's what Logee's writes about it:

"A rich and pleasing floral fragrance combined with a long flowering season are some of the strong attributes of this Central American species. Blooming from May to October, the flowers have purple petals and dense frilly filaments accentuating the 3” blooms. It is a strong grower yet modest in stature making it an excellent candidate for containers. We grow it in a hanging basket where it makes a beautiful specimen. If cross-pollinated with another species, it will produce edible fruit."

No comments:

Post a Comment