Friday, March 30, 2012

Phyllostachys Spectabilis Leviosa!

I returned to Pergolatory from my vacation to find that not much had changed. The weather here had been rainy and overcast much of the time that I was enjoying 80°F on Maui. However, today I walked out to do my usual rounds and found that my phyllostachys spectabilis bamboo was pushing up culms everywhere! The extra daylight and sun heated cinder block wall must have triggered their arrival. The black bamboo phyllostachys nigra doesn't have any new culms yet, but it's on the opposite side of the patio where it relies on the afternoon sun - the afternoon sun that we haven't been getting yet. The spectabilis culms are fairly large in diameter, so I'm really excited for the added privacy that they'll provide.

 

Update: A few weeks later and there are 40+ new spectabilis culms, with a few of them taller than the 6' fence already. Their diameters are about what you would expect for a first season of growth. The black bamboo started coming up recently too. And the culms are thick. One of them is easily 1.5" in diameter. They're not yet as tall, but given last year's growth, I expect that they'll reach 20' at least!


No comments:

Post a Comment