Monday, September 10, 2012

Race to Racemosa

I was running the first ever Ragnar Colorado, a 189 mile foot race from Breckenridge to Snowmass with my 11 teammates this weekend. Before I left, I noticed that I'd almost certainly miss the first bloom of Passiflora racemosa. Sure, enough, when I returned I found an obviously post-bloomed bud wilted on the ground. But, true to its name there were plenty of other buds on the raceme. So, my first day back I was rewarded with a new flower opening to the Southern sun.

I purchased this beauty from Logee's. It was listed as P. racemosa 'Pink', but in discussing this name with a fellow passi-lover, I've since determined that the name little more than a description and not a true registered name. So, now I go to the Passiflora society to determine this one's proper name! More to come!


The results are in, and not much to my surprise the consensus seems to be P. racemosa 'buzios', which isn't a hybrid of course. Instead it's a cultivar with pink flowers instead of red. Case closed, and bud dropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment