Monday, June 25, 2012

Blue Monday...Not!

Today I returned from work and after inspecting Pergola-tory for a few minutes discovered, to my delight, that a new passiflora was in bloom! 'Blue Bouquet' opened up! Though that hybrid is prolific bloomer given sunny conditions, it wasn't until today that it opened up for the first time this year. Because it's mixed in with P. racemosa, 'Monika Fischer', and 'Star of Surbiton' in a single large pot, I wasn't even sure it had survived the mite attack. But, now I see that it had survived to climb to the top of the pergola and bloom first of all the others! Now that it's up there and June gloom (as it's commonly referred to in Southern California) is nearly over, I expect fireworks!

Update: I just returned from a business trip and I found 'Lady Margaret' opened for the first time this year too. And, 'Blue Bouquet' is popping open everywhere just as I expected. 'Blue-eyed Susan' continues to impress.


1 comment: