Monday, May 28, 2018

May Gray and Cool Scions

It's Memorial Day. I returned from an out of town trip half exhausted and half missing my garden. The latter won, and I decided to take the Jaboticaba scions that I received in mid-February out of the fridge. To my pleasure they looked externally as good as fresh. A few slices with my knife showed them to look the same on the inside. Plinia edulis might have been a bit off, but it was still moist and greenish. So, I took the remaining scions and grafted them to a Sabara that has been doing just fine since it arrived recently. This is a bit of an experiment. No one seemed quite sure if this tactic would work.

On a very related note, my tree grafted back in Feb is really pushing. At least one of each variety is showing life and pushing new leaves (expect perhaps P. edulis). I don't know what normal grafting success rates are especially in cool and overcast conditions, but I think the tightness with which I wrapped the white electrical tape may be important. Some reading noted that pressure is critical to cell differentiation and fluid/nutrient transmission. This along with stripping the stock leaves really seems to be the ticket...unless it's always this easy of course. We'll see what the forums say when I show off the cocktail tree once it's more fleshed out.

And back to the refrigerated tree...I can't wait to read what the forum people say to that if it works out positively. Wait and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment