Friday, August 14, 2015

Propagating Passiflora from the PSI Insanity

I returned from the annual PSI meeting the San Francisco with a suitcase full of plants, cuttings, and seeds. I had one day before a business trip to take care of them all, so so I scrambled to spray the potted plants with pesticide, soak the seeds in the water, and most significantly, chop the cuttings down to size for propagation. I've never had much luck with perlite, but I'm giving it another try having learned some tips from the workshops the prior weekend. I have Passiflora truxillensis, P. alata 'Purple Tiger', P. pinnatastipula, P. x exoniensis x P. umbilicata, P. manicata, and P. trisecta. When I returned from the business trip I sowed P. lindeniana, P. alata, P. umbilicata, and P. popenovii. What a haul!!


Update:

I returned home from my trip to find mold all over the cuttings. It contaminated all of them, and I lost every single one. I don't know what it is about me and perlite propagation, but we are not friends. I'm going to stick with my propagator method from now on. The only non-seeds that I have left from the meeting are some grafts of P. manicata and P. x exoniensis x P. umbilicata on P. 'Betty Myles Young'. And... I grafted the latter upside down. I'm feeling like an dope about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment