Sunday, August 17, 2014

Snow in Summer with Passiflora tucumanensis

One of the plants that I purchased this Spring at South Coast Botanical Garden was Passiflora tucumanensis. It was a vigorous grower, and recently before a week long vacation, I noticed that it had some immature buds. I returned home from that vacation to find something a little unusual. I expected a lovely little corona of banded filaments. What I got was a nearly pure white flower with a tiny hint of mauve on the inner series of filaments. Although it wasn't what I was expecting, it's a very nice flower and I don't have any all white plants since my P. 'Quasar' dried up. It's a keeper, and since P. umbilicata is blooming, I'll try to make P. umbilicata x P. tucamenensis alba.


1 comment:

  1. Just want to let you know that there is another Passiflora Tucumanensis growing in Redondo Beach, in my backyard. And it is probably from the same batch where you got yours. I bought it purely out of curiosity though since I don’t know much about it. Almost a year later, my plant is still alive but not doing particularly well, never had any flower. Last Sunday I thought maybe it’s time to learn how to properly take care it. Unfortunate there isn’t a whole lot of information about this particular type of passion flower on the Internet. Your blog posting is one of the few things I could find about it, and it’s amazingly close to home.

    BTW there might be something about the white flower. None of the photos of this flower I found on the Internet are purely white. Did you plant it in the ground? When I first started growing things in my backyard, I planted two different varieties of beans I brought over from the East Coast. Both of them are red with distinctive patterns. The beans I harvested that Fall were all stripped of red color. The patterns were still there but all “white washed”. I wondered if there was something with the soil in Redondo Beach but never got a definite answer to this. I planted the same beans a few times again but never got the same result. This doesn’t rule out the soil because I have been amending it over the years.

    ReplyDelete