Sunday, May 11, 2014

San Francisco Treats, Part 3

My first day in San Francisco was exhausting, but a total success. I had been teased about the pitiful number of plants that I had purchased; two, but the trip was more about meeting the people with whom I had been conversing with online. In that regard, day one was a complete success.

Day two started late. I slept in to rest my feet and legs and generally just recover from yesterday's whirlwind. After a slow start, I took a ride from downtown to Berkeley to visit a close friend's collection (and family). His space was a little larger than mine and his collection a lot more mature and numerous (albeit desiccated from a recent heat wave.) Open flowers weren't readily available, but the breadth of his collection was evident and impressive. At his home, I picked up a score of seeds before taking a quick road tour of the local plants.

A few fences were adorned with Tacsonias, but the most impressive stop was a home with a mature P. parritae covering the side yard. There weren't any buds to be seen, but imagining it full of blossoms was easy to do. But, after missing the P. parritae in Strybing as well, I knew I had to come back to see this species in bloom in person soon. Of course, there are also all of my new friends and their collections to visit too. I'll have to wait until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment