Saturday, January 4, 2014

New Year: A New Hope

The new year has come. The garden has been largely stagnant except for a showering of leaves from P. holosericia, which did the same last year, but regrew them and many flowers following last Winter. In the greenhouse, where I installed a large, new, bright light there are many plants. Some are well established like P. cirrhiflora (which just finished its second bloom), P. antioquiensis, P. nephrodes, and P. macrocarpa. Others are cuttings, or back-up plants, if you will. I have P. Raspberries and Cream, P. x decaisneana, P. Blue-Eyed Susan, P. racemosa buzios, P. Manta and a few others just hanging around. There are some seedlings that have been growing for a long time like P. gritensis, P. lindeniana, P. umbilicata, and some guest hybrids. And finally, there are the new seedlings like P. caerulea and my new cross! Hopefully, I'll have another beauty to claim and name in 2014 to compliment P. Erl.

With all of these plants, I need a solid Spring strategy. And here, Spring comes early. In March it will be time to start pulling out the Tacsonias. Soon after I'll pull out the rest. And will that, I think I need to cull some of the older plants in Pergolatory. Some will be reincarnated with their cutting backups. Others, well...they had a good run.

It will be another exciting growing season. I'm quite confident of that. My only concern now is that P. cirrhiflora will run out of steam before the sun returns from it's Winter solstice zenith. It survived last Winter with the spot lights directly on it. Now it's sharing the light with the rest of my brood. I hope it's strong enough to survive. I've sent away all of my viable back-ups. Taking cuttings now would be certain vegicide, and unlikely rooting. So, we wait, as the theme of Pergolatory continues in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment