Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fruitful Fourth

It is Independence Day, and the fireworks are going off already. 'Blue Bouquet' is exploding all over the pergola. But, the more exciting topic is the fact that 'Blue-eyed Susan' has started to bear fruit! This year I've had so many flowers at once that I've been able to brush some viable pollen from my finger on to neighboring plants (because the bees are dropping like flies). So, for this first fruit of Pergola-tory, I'm actually getting a hybrid of 'Blue Bouquet' and 'Blue-eyed Susan' which are already hybrids...my head is spinning...it will take some work to figure out if the seeds can be germinated. And, if they can, is the resulting plant new? Could I get that lucky? I'll have to wait and see. Until then I'll post updates to this post with pictures of the fruit as it matures!


3 days later...
4 days later...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment